Position Title: Corporate Counsel
Reports to: Chief Legal Officer
Position Summary: The Corporate counsel will perform and oversee a broad variety of legal tasks.
AE has a unique business model and a unique culture. We value collaboration—by which we mean communication that is both highly assertive and highly cooperative. We also value creative problem solving. We are seeking an attorney suited to thrive in this culture; someone with the skills and temperament to collaborate hand in hand with our senior leadership and affiliate leaders, as well as with the leaders of our internal investment lanes, in seeking creative legal solutions at the speed of business. Description of the Person
The Corporate Counsel must be a person of godly character. We are seeking someone who is trustworthy with unimpeachable integrity, and who also has a humble attitude and a servant’s heart.
The ideal Corporate Counsel is comfortable in strategic roles and excels in tactical/technical roles. They are flexible, able to pivot easily between tasks, or to shift from tactical to strategic roles, with ease and on short notice. They are self-starting and results oriented.
Professionally, we are seeking an attorney with an Indiana license in good standing, with a minimum of two years of experience. Aptitude in one of the following fields is preferred: labor, employment and benefits, corporate law, or mergers and acquisitions. We need an attorney who is comfortable operating within several different fields, and in consulting outside counsel in fields where they lack expertise. The willingness to stretch and to learn new areas of law will be required.
Relationally, the Corporate Counsel is both personable and personal, capable of building trusting relationships inside and outside of AE and its affiliates. They are capable of communication that is high-impact, direct, and clear, while remaining friendly, caring, and consummately professional.
In the words of our founder, “Business is about people, processes, and problem-solving. We look for leaders who are principle-based, purpose-driven, people-centric strategic problem-solvers.”
- Develop trusted-partner relationships with AE team members, affiliate leaders, and outside counsel
- Provide legal advice to AE team members and affiliates in all areas
- Perform legal research and draft research memoranda
- Assist, as needed, with M&A work and M&A due diligence
- Identify legal issues
- Review and draft contracts and other legal instruments
- Oversee and manage litigation for AE and affiliates on an as-needed basis
- J.D. from an accredited U.S. law school
- Minimum of two years of experience (private practice experience preferred, but not required). Experience in one of the following areas: labor, employment, and benefits, corporate law, or mergers and acquisitions
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Superior ability to manage sensitive and confidential situations with tact, professionalism, and diplomacy
- Superior ability to prioritize, adapt and respond to rapidly changing circumstances required
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Excellent legal research and writing skills
- Superior adaptability and strategic agility